Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Mystery Reader


A couple of years ago I was looking at the cool teaching blogs on Scholastic, and came across the idea of Mystery Readers on Beth Newingham's blog.  She has some pretty incredible ideas, and I was very excited to try having Mystery Readers in my classroom.  BOY am I glad I did!!  The Kiddos ATE IT UP!  

If I were to think of the top five things that contribute to my students becoming lovers of reading, Mystery Readers would without a doubt be one of them!

Every Friday, after lunch, I have a Mystery Reader come and knock on our classroom door.  Our class Mayor (or leader) for the week answers the door and let's our Mystery Reader in.  The kiddos are always SUPER excited to see who the Mystery Reader will be.









I try to get a wide variety of Mystery Readers to visit our classroom; parents, school personal, special community helpers and my personal friends and family.  We have even "Skyped" with one of my favorite authors in New York City.

Before a Mystery Reader comes into our classroom, I ask them to do four things:
  1. To pick a children's book they love, or help me to find one for them.  If they love it, so will my students.
  2. To tell my students about why they love reading and how it has been important in their lives.
  3. To tell my students about the job they have and how being a good reader is vital to their job.
  4. To explain to my students why getting an education was important to them and encourage my students to go to college.  

Can we say, "four birds with one stone".  That's how we teachers roll :).


Here is an example of a Mystery Reader.  One of my sweet friends works at a nearby zoo.  One year she brought a 60 pound tortoise to class and read a book about a turtle.  She explained how much she loved reading, and without it, she would never have been able to read the important books about how to take care of animals.  She also talked about getting a degree in biology and told my students if they wanted to work with animals, they definitely needed to go to college and be good readers.  

Do you think the kiddos were paying attention?  YEP!

Another one of my friends works in the athletic department at a nearby University.  She was great!  She talked about some of the athletes the kids were familiar with and then asked them the question, "What do you think is one of the MOST important things these athletes do in order to play at a University?"  The kids responded with, "Work out!",  "Practice!!" or "Run" etc...   My friend responded, "All those things are very important, but they would never be able to play at the University if they weren't good readers, and they didn't study hard everyday.  If they don't get good grades, they don't get to stay on the team."  

The little athlete kiddos in my class were listening, I guarantee it. 


Before a Mystery Reader leaves, I take a picture and put it on the bulletin board in our classroom library.  The pictures stays up all year long.  If possible, I also place the book our Mystery Reader read in a special place in the classroom.  This quickly becomes the most popular and wanted book of the week.

Mystery Readers pack a wallop!  The kids think it is great and it makes my job of getting students to love reading a lot easier.  What are some of the ways you get your kiddos become lovers of reading?






No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10