Friday, June 7, 2013

Geometric Shapes

Every year I order large craft sticks for my P.E. chart.  They arrived yesterday, and when I opened them I had an idea for Geometry.  


I am going to give each of my students a set of 8 craft sticks to keep in their pencil boxes.  Anytime I call out, "Show me a shape" they will know to pull out their craft sticks.  I will either tell them the name of the shape or the attributes of the shape.  They will use the craft sticks to build the geometric shape.


  
This could totally be made into a game to see who can make the shape first.


Each of my students are given a class number, so I am going to write the given class number on each student's craft sticks.  When (not if) a student loses a stick somewhere around the classroom, we will know who it belongs to.


Any other ideas for uses of these great little craft sticks?


3 comments:

  1. That is such a fun and smart idea! And love the idea to number the sticks so you can get lost ones returned to their owner quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea. I think it's a fun way to mix things up and. Keep students engaged -- something you do great at. The numbering idea is a must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think you could use them to get students working together in different groups. Say, "Okay, class. Everyone find someone with a different color for shapes. Work together to make..." It could also be done in slightly larger groups.

      Delete

09 10